Germany

Beginning

The beginning of the Congregation in Germany is closely connected with the founding intention and the history of the foundation by Mother M. Clara Pfänder.

history motherclarapfnder 

Transferring

 history bischof konrad martin

The Congregation, founded in 1859/60 in Germany, grew very fast and gave responses to various needs.

Upon the desire of the Bishop, in 1863 the Motherhouse was transferred from Olpe to Salzkotten. Soon the small group which remained in Olpe became autonomous and was recognized by the Bishop as an independent Congregation.

Perpetual

Adoration

After the transfer of the Motherhouse the Sisters dedicated themselves furthermore to the main intention that is to perpetual adoration, as well as to the education of youth and the care of the sick in their homes.

 

history anbetung
 

Education

Healthcare

Already in 1866 during the Prussian-Austrian war the Sisters were called to Bohemia in order to care for the wounded soldiers.

 history lazarett

The epidemic cholera and typhus which broke out after the war in Germany, challenged the Sisters to help the people in the spirit of St. Francis.

Growing

Through this, in the time between 1866 and 1870, the corner stones were laid for a number of communities and hospitals in various areas such as the Rhineland (e.g. in Birkesdorf), in Westphalia, Hannover and Sachsen.

history twistringen
 

Letting go

During the so-called Kulturkampf the Congregation came into great distress. Every service in the field of education and teaching of youth was forbidden for religious.

Various schools and orphanages had to be closed. The time of this difficulty of the Kulturkampf urged Mother M. Clara, like other religious, to look for work in foreign countries or to go begging.

Changing

history st. josefskrankenhaus
 

But also in Germany life continued to develop during the Kulturkampf and after the Kulturkampf. The orphanage in Salzkotten, for which Mother M. Clara had been fighting for its existence, was closed and transformed into a small hospital.

From this developed the Josefskrankenhaus (St Joseph Hospital), which from 1914 on was renewed, later enlarged and finally in the 1970’s was built completely new in another place. In various dioceses the main emphasis of the services of the Sisters was moved to the care for the sick in their homes and in hospitals.

Developing

Soon also kindergartens were founded; schools of cookery and household as well as for child rearing were built; education and teaching in schools for physically and mentally handicapped were taken over. Another response to an urgent need was the care for tubercular persons, especially in Bad Lippspringe.

 

 history bad lippspringe

The experiences of the 2nd World War left deep traces in the German Province. It took years until the Sisters living in the so-called German Democratic Republic (East Germany) could move slowly to the Western part of Germany.

Adapting

Conditioned by the changes in the life of society and in the community during the last decades, many services had to be adapted to meet current needs.

 

 

Go to top