The Catholic Tradition of Saint Joseph
Joseph, the silent man of the Gospels, is in the line of the great men of faith of the Old Testament. He is described as a "just man", a righteous man of integrity. He is in the tradition of Abraham who was called by God to "walk before my face and be upright (Gen: 17.1);and of Moses who was told to be "entirely sincere", "entirely faithful" (Deut: 18.13). For centuries his place in the story of Jesus was comparatively unnoticed. Gradually, in Catholic tradition, he was recognised as patron of fathers of families, of bursars and procurators, of manual workers, especially carpenters, and of all who desire a holy death.
The parish in Buenos Aires where Pope Francis grew up is dedicated to San José. Solemnly inaugurated on 19 March 2013, Francis’ pontificate is placed under the protection of Saint Joseph. One of the few things the Pope had sent over from Argentina after his election is a statue he had. It depicts the saint lying down asleep, a reference to the gospel accounts of Saint Joseph receiving the counsel of angels in several dreams. The Pope slips pieces of paper with prayer requests under the pedestal of the statue, which is just outside his room at St. Martha's House.
“You know,” said Francis, “you have to be patient with these carpenters: they tell you they’ll have a piece of furniture finished in a couple of weeks and it ends up taking a month even. But they get the job done and they do it well! You just need to be patient…”
- St. Joseph, pray for us.
- Renowned offspring of David, pray for us.
- Light of Patriarchs, pray for us.
- Spouse of the Mother of God, pray for us.
- Chaste guardian of the Virgin, pray for us.
- Care father of the Son of God, pray for us.
- Diligent protector of Christ, pray for us.
- Head of the Holy Family, pray for us.
- Joseph most just, pray for us.
- Joseph most chaste, pray for us.
- Joseph most prudent, pray for us.
- Joseph most strong, pray for us.
- Joseph most obedient, pray for us.
- Joseph most faithful, pray for us.
- Mirror of patience, pray for us.
- Lover of poverty, pray for us.
- Model of artisans, pray for us.
- Glory of home life, pray for us.
- Guardian of virgins, pray for us.
- Pillar of families, pray for us.
- Solace of the wretched, pray for us.
- Hope of the sick, pray for us.
- Patron of the dying, pray for us.
- Terror of demons, pray for us.
- Protector of Holy Church, pray for us.
- Let us pray. O God, in your ineffable providence you were pleased to choose Blessed Joseph to be the spouse of your most holy Mother; grant, we beg you, that we may be worthy to have him for our intercessor in heaven whom on earth we venerate as our Protector You who live and reign forever and ever. R. Amen.